Frequency Allocation Plan for TV and Radio Broadcasting (Explanation Letter)
December. 27, 2005
Frequency allocation plan for TV and radio broadcasting contains: a list of frequencies allocated to the cities of Georgia and populated areas, information on coordinates of location of transmission antennas, middle radius of their activity, information on the capacity radiated by antennas and the type of diagram of the radiation. The base for this plan is the planned net of broadcasting frequencies, which has been elaborated by the Georgian National Communications Commission by participating in open tender (Decision N.487, 26.09.03) and contains 19 pages.
Frequency allocation plan includes radio and TV broadcasting frequencies:
- Radio broadcasting frequency net in FM (100-108 MHz) frequency range.
- Frequency net in television, decimeter frequency range.
The bases for the process of elaboration of radio frequency net in FM (100-108 MHz) were the following considerations:
1. In order to cover the whole territory of Georgia (realization of stable radio connection) with electromagnetic radiation, the broadcasting companies carrying out broadcasting in one or several areas, shall be able to carry out broadcasting in accordance with their wish or economical situation;
2. The areas for the location of radio broadcasting transmission systems are selected in a manner which allows the inclusion of highways in radio covering area;
3. In case of demand, the realization of synchronic broadcasting shall be possible;
4. The frequency net in FM 100-108 MHz frequency range has been elaborated considering the Regulation of radio connection on the territory of Georgia, the norms and recommendations of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), the geographical relief of the country, as well as the net of the already assigned frequencies and the frequencies to be assigned in the future;
5. Secure equalities have been considered for the frequencies selected for activity, for broadcasting with analogical or digital systems.
The planned frequency net of broadcasting in television decimeter frequency range, which has been elaborated based on international norms and standards, allows:
1. The maximal satisfaction of TV informational demand of the population of Georgia by TV broadcasting companies;
2. A secondary network of retranslations of low capacity may be connected to the planned frequency net, considered for the main TV broadcasting network of the country, by means of retranslation. Determination of the working frequencies of the secondary network shall be based on the analysis of material obtained from the main network’s activity and relevant monitoring;
3. The planned frequency net includes the possibility of carrying out local or regional television broadcasting, in wide network or in a particular populated area;
4. The maximum number of the possible working frequencies for at present has been defined with the usage of defending criterions defined by norms, with the exclusion of interferences and with consideration of assigned TV broadcasting frequencies and the frequencies to be assigned in the future.
According to the planned net of the presented broadcasting frequencies, the following circumstances shall be taken in consideration within the process of elaboration of the technical project and exploitation of the transmitting stations:
1. Geographical coordinates are indicated for the existing mast constructions. The usage of new mast construction within 1000 meter radius from the point defined by the indicated coordinates is possible, with taking in consideration the fact, that it is necessary to maintain the indicated height of location of antenna from sea level;
2. According to the recommended standards of ITU (ITU-R, BS, 412-7, 417-4, issue 43/11), in order to receive signal stably, it is necessary to define the middle radius of the broadcasting area on the basis of the minimal admissible importance of the field’s tension;
3. The elaboration of technical project of the transmitting station shall be carried out in accordance with the technical parameters indicated in the planned net of broadcasting frequencies;
4. In the existing conditions, when the influence of complicated relief of the coverage area on the diffusion of electromagnetic field and the requirements of the international coordination are to be taken into consideration, it is possible to change the parameters of radiation, within the recognized norms.
The presented planned net of broadcasting frequencies has been elaborated for the independent, simultaneous functioning of the separated transmitters within the list of frequencies. Within the presented number of transmitting stations, the installation of broadcasting network of various configurations is possible on the territory of Georgia, for radio and TV broadcasting. The presented frequency net is planned with maximum capacity, which means that the whole spectrum is loaded and used effectively. As far as possible, the influence of TV and radio transmitters of neighbor countries in border regions is taken into consideration and the working frequencies are selected in a manner which ensures minimum inter-influence.
In Georgia, the digital television broadcasting will be introduced by means of the step by step exchange of the existing analogical system in frequency ranges. In Georgia, for terrestrial digital broadcasting, the European Standards are justified (DVB-T for TV broadcasting and T-DAB for radio broadcasting), according to the following consideration:
- Georgia is near the European countries and the requirements of border regions related to interferences will be fulfilled;
- The widest choice of receiving-transmitting and forming equipment is expected from manufacturing companies of Western Europe, with taking in consideration the fact that these companies have a permanent tendency to decrease the prices;
- With taking into consideration the scientific-technical progress in European countries, the produced equipment ensures unique possibilities for receiving signal stably even in conditions of complicated relief, and this is very important for Georgia;
- The conception of the European Standards considers an important increase of the number of programs, and the opportunities for the passage to the digital broadcasting with minimal expenses;
- In Georgia, the digital TV broadcasting will be introduced by means of the step by step exchange of the existing analogical system in frequency ranges.
Technical Director of “Georgian Radio Center” LTD
Technical Director of “Department observing Electromagnetic compatibilityAnd Interferences” LTD
Head Engineer of “Department observing Electromagnetic compatibility And Interferences” LTD
Director of the Liberty Institute
Eurasia Fund, Director of The Center of Caucasian Researches